I have been cooking all week after my trip to the wineries a few weeks ago. There is something about watching someone, a chef do what they love, cook. It get so inspired and motivated to cook and then reality sets in. Oh you mean I have to actually make a list and then go to the store and then plan the time to make the meals? Oh brother, where are the shortcuts? I need em.
Shortcuts are my secret weapon, not only are they VITAL to repeat successful dinners but also to keep my sanity intact. Happy wife = happy life. If I start burning out in the kitchen then my jeans are in trouble because next it will be pizza on the speed dial followed up by some serious post Chinese takeout bloat and somehow I lose my way around my own kitchen unmotivated to cook anything that requires more than 4 ingredients. I digress. So let me share one of my secrets….
Flavor Infused Oils from Temecula Olive Oil Company
A few weeks ago while visiting the wineries of Temecula I made one very important stop at Temecula Olive Oil Company on Front St. I was looking forward to visiting because I have never been despite a pantry full of their delicious oils. These are my number one time-savers in the kitchen. Hand pressed, certifiably extra virgin and full of flavor they make my job easier in the kitchen with just a splash. I use them as a make shift pasta sauce or even drizzle over fresh berries and ice cream for a quick dessert.
Temecula Olive Oil Company is a family owned and operated business that has been growing and hand pressing olives in California since 2001. Let me tell you I have never tasted a more pure Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Extra virgin means first press. Don’t think what you are buying at the store is Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 99% of it is not. Here in the US the olive oil not regulated by the USDA or IOCC (International Olive Oil Council) which means producers can legally dilute olive oil labeled as “extra virgin” with other oils like safflower, canola or soy and still call it extra virgin. These oils are priced accordingly so don’t be surprised when you see some upwards of $20 a bottle. This is why I use them sparingly. With their intense flavor you don’t need as much either.
“From the start, we made a commitment to use only 100% California olive fruit of the highest quality and never use chemicals or heat treatments of any kind. On our California olive oil ranch (blessed with an ideal Mediterranean climate) we practice sustainable agriculture and grow and harvest a wide variety of olives to bring you our unique blends of California olive oils.”
Their Temecula store is filled with everything from olive oils, vinegar’s, salts, tapenades to intoxicating fresh lavender candles, soups and olive wood items.
My love for TOOC all started with these sampler packs.
A few years ago a special friend of mine gave me an assortment of their hand pressed olive oils and vinegars and I have been a HUGE fan every since, I always have a running tab with her when ever she goes on an “Olive Oil” run. Lucky for me she has a sister in Temecula who loads up her car with cases of this stuff.
I walked into separate room known as the tasting room. I belied up to the bar and said “I’ll take one of everything!”, I don’t know why they were laughing, I was serious and totally prepared to strap a car seat to the roof if I had to make more room for this liquid gold. 🙂
If you are in proximity to one of their stores you must go and do a tasting. It is a little odd at first sipping straight olive oil, and oh that burning sensation right after? that would be the antioxidants who knew? Mmmmmn deliciousness and a cancer fighting free radical defender I’m happy.
I sampled eveyrthing even though I was a big fan already, I loved when they mixed the honey balsamic with the roasted garlic olive oil, my mouth literally started watering as I typed that! I joked that people who aren’t garlic fans would LOVE it because combining the two veiled any pungency of garlic, charming the pants of non-garlic eaters everywhere. I predicted they would love it even though they had no clue why.
click to read more and giveaway details
Some of my favorite ways I use their olive oils and vinegar:
Combine Roasted Garlic Olive Oil and California Balsamico Bianco (white) Vinegar as the salad dressing, you can add a dash of mustard salt and pepper and some honey and emulsify for a creamy version.
Remember the bacon wrapped Balsamic & Honey Glazed Pork Tenderloin I made tho other night?
Tomato, Corn and Basil Salad – use the Basil Olive Oil (No. 1 seller) or Roasted Garlic to add more flavor depth.
I use the Citrus Reserve Olive Oil on Caprese Salad and sometimes I add a few chunks of watermelon and drizzle a little California Chardonnay vinegar. Mmmm.
Olive Oil also makes a great in home body treatment.
Olive Oil For Hair:
- Make a hot oil treatment to heal dry or damaged hair by mixing 2/3 cup of olive oil and 1 TBSP of honey in a re-sealable plastic bag. Fill a bowl with hot water and place the sealed bag in the water until it becomes warm. (Do not allow oil to become hot.) Apply oil mixture to roots and work it through to the tips of your hair. Cover with a shower cap and wrap in a warm towel. Leave on for 20 minutes. Shampoo and condition as normal.
- Condition your hair by applying olive oil directly to hair for 30 minutes to reduce frizz and static, heal split-ends, remedy dandruff, balance overproduction of oil and prevent attraction of parasites.
Visit TOOC website for more uses.
Now the good part! Temecula Olive Oil company is giving one lucky reader both the OLIVE OIL sample pack AND the VINEGAR sample pack. You will reseceive a bottle of:
- Olivum, a rich buttery blend of several varietals is the perfect enhancement to any recipe instead of vegetable oils or butter.
- Citrus Reserve will enhance your salads, poultry, seafood or baking with the essence of Blood oranges.
- Roasted Garlic Reserve is a must-have for that pasta or grilled meat lover.
- Vanilla & Fig Balsamic is aged for two-plus years and imbued with the sweet essence of California ripe figs and a touch of vanilla. Exceptional in salad dressings, it’s also sensational with creamy Brie and Fontina cheeses, as a meat marinade, drizzled over grilled vegetables, added to sauces and mixed with olive oil as a dip.
- Honey Balsamic a great blend of two opposite that form a delicious vinegar. Whether you’re spritzing it over a salad or cooking delicious white trout with it, we’re confident you’ll love these flavors.
- California Balsamic Bianco Pomegranate (my personal favorite) the perfect balance of rich flavor and gentle, smooth texture. We love to splash this flavored vinegar over fresh fruits, salads or even pork tenderloin.
Temecula Olive Oil Company has 4 location is Southern California:
- Old Town San Diego
- Solana Beach
- Seal Beach
You can also shop their online store they ship internationally! You can also call them at 866-654-8396 to sign up for the Olive Oil Club.
To enter leave a comment below. The winner will also receive a private tour of the ranch.
Please leave a separate comment (for a maximum of 4 additional) if you like or follow on twitter. Giveaway ends 9/10/11 12 PST.
disclosure: giveaway is sponsored by the Temecula Olive Oil Company. I was not compensated to write my review or provided any product in exchange.